Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Food spotlight: Bento box lunches!

One of the many highlights of living in Japan is the FANTASTIC food! I've been meaning to start a segment on some of the more traditional and unique foods that I am in love with so let the fun begin!
My favorite thing to do for lunch here is to go across the street to the new 7-11 and buy myself a bento box lunch.
SO CONVENIENT! I adore 7-11s here. I'll gush about convenience stores in a new post soon, I promise!
Bento boxes are traditional style Japanese lunch boxes. They generally have some rice and assorted meats and pickles such as fried pork or a cute little hamburger patty. I also love the little sushi boxes!
Some sushi and unagi (eel)-It's delicious!!
They warm it up for you as soon as you buy it which is amazingly nice to have a warm lunch despite not having a microwave in the office.
I also recently bought my own little bento box and have been trying to make my own lunches. They taste delicious but are not pretty at all.
Lookie what I made!
Part of the culture is to make the bento's cute or at least appealing. Mine are never such lol. Normally people at least have plastic containers to separate all of the aspects of the lunch. I bought my bento box at the Daiso (100 yen store) so basically it is not big enough to fit the containers. Oh well, I wish my bentos looked like this...
What a good and creative bento box looks like lol  Photo credit: http://blog.modes4u.com/products/cute-kawaii-bento-boxes.html
 I'll keep working at it. Who knows, maybe one day I'll make some super cute bento box lunches!

No comments:

Post a Comment