Sunday, July 31, 2011

Work week 1

Okay, so this week was the first week that I had to teach lessons all by myself. It was very stressful but still fun. I had plenty of late nights planing and making props. I thought that this job would be very simple. There are not many people working for this company that have actual teaching degrees and in a way it is. I can come up with lesson ideas and whatnot pretty quickly. The thing I didn't expect was all the "prop" making. Basically, all the materials are not provided for us. So, for example, this week I had to teach a lesson about the months and days of the week. Pretty simple topic to teach kids. However, I had to make or buy anything like a calender that I wanted to use. Now, I'm not complaining. There are worse situations to be in. At least the company that I work for has a curriculum already in place instead of just telling me to do whatever. I just wasn't expected coloring to play such a major role in teaching English overseas. I'm sure I will find more resourceful and efficient ways to work around this but for now, a lot of my time is spent working on these props. On the plus side, I'm still in the honeymoon stage with my kids so I enjoy them a lot! One of them even wrote me a hello letter:
It will be very nice to relax this weekend! Hoping to get to a movie tomorrow. I'll let you know how similar and different things are between Japan and the States.

No comments:

Post a Comment