Monday, May 23, 2011

Why Japan?

One of the first questions I get asked is: Why did you choose to go to Japan? The answer is pretty simple: I am fascinated by Japanese culture. It would be a lie for me to not admit that I am a large fan of anime or Japanese animation. You will have to bear from time to time a fan girl post from me about an awesome anime I just saw or an epic Gundam model that I found but this will not be the focus of the blog. This is merely where my love for Japanese culture started. It started to blossom when I met one of my best friends in middle school. She was from Japan and quickly latched onto my group of friends since we were into anime like she was. I would love to spend time at her house. There, we would watch anime in Japanese, eat Japanese snacks such as Poky and Pretz, marvel at the beautiful artwork all over her house. Her mom noticed how interested I was in her "artifacts", so to speak, and started to take me under her wing. She taught me how to play the koto an ancient Japanese instrument similar to a harp and in the process also taught me a little bit of the language and culture. I was hooked. In college, I explored this interest further by taking East Asian studies classes focusing on history and religion in Japan. Although my favorite class by far was Classical Asian Theater where I learned all about the ancient arts of Noh, Kabuki, Bonraku (puppets), and even Sumo wrestling. I vowed one day that I had to visit there. So: Why Japan? Because it is a passion and calling for me to be there.

No comments:

Post a Comment