Friday, June 3, 2011

How to get a job teaching in Japan

This is a combined story of how I found, well rather stumbled upon my job, as well as helpful advice for those who want to find a job of their own!

Step 1: Google it!
 Seriously, this is how it all began for me. I knew I wanted to do this so I googled teaching English in Japan. You will see LOTS of options. YOU DO NOT NEED A TEFL. IGNORE THOSE LINKS.

Step 2: Research, research, research.
Explore all your options. I would recommend going through the JET program, an English conversation school, or a reliable publication like Ohayo Sensei which lists teaching jobs. Search out reputations of schools and areas. BE WARNED: Every school and program has some haters. Look for the one with the least. I chose a conversation school.

Step 3: Build a good resume and cover letter
Make sure you state clearly and concisely why you want to go to Japan and what qualifies you. Don't have teaching experience?  Doesn't matter. Find the qualities in your past jobs that make you a good candidate like flexibility, patience, and team work. Also, be honest. If you want to go to Japan because you like anime, that's fine just put it in a mature way. My cover letter stated that my interest in Japanese culture started with anime but grew.

Step 4: Apply in a timely manner!
Time is very important in Japan. Sometimes they do not even look at your application if you apply even 3-4 days before the deadline. Get it in at least a week before the deadline if not sooner!

Interview Process:
1. Smile!
First impressions matter and they want to know that you are friendly.

2. Brush up on your grammar and spelling.
There WILL be a quiz. I'm not kidding. I had to take two quizzes at my interview. I thought I failed. Apparently I didn't but I stressed about it all day.

3. Find something that makes you stand out...
but not too much! I learned this the hard way. I wore a red suit jacket thinking it was striking but still professional and memorable. The recruiters made about 5 comments about how my suit jacket was too bright and colorful by Japanese standards...Find something like an elegant piece of jewelry or tie that is unique but not loud. Remember: the Japanese are very keen on hygiene so look your absolute best.

4. Sample lesson? Act like a fool.
They want the lesson to be interactive and fun so go ahead and have a silly hat or make the students stand up and move, dance, sing, whatever! I did a lesson on the words "right, left, forward, backward" and had my whole group moving as I told them the direction and then dance.

5. Be active.
Take notes to show your interest. In a group interview setting, participate in other candidates lessons'.

6. Be open.
Show them that you are willing to try anything!

That's the best advice I can give you. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment